It’s wonderful to see so many talented older thespians gracing the big screen in popular movies these days. This year’s Academy Award nominations honoured several roles portrayed by older adults (60+).
Below is a sample of the outstanding roles portrayed by older actors and actresses in 2015 film:
- Creed. Sylvester Stallone, age 69, is nominated for best actor in a supporting role as the former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa.
- 45 Years. Charlotte Rampling, age 69, is nominated for best actress for her portrayal of a woman who learns that her husband was once engaged to another woman shortly before their 45th wedding anniversary.
- Mad Max Fury Road. Nominated for best picture. Hugh Keays-Byrne, age 69, plays the primary antagonist. Keays-Byrne is reprising his original role from the first Mad Max film made in 1979.
- The Martian. Jeff Daniels, age 61, plays a NASA administrator in the best picture nominated film The Martian.
- Spotlight. Nominated for best picture. Michael Keaton, age 64, portrays the editor of the Spotlight team in this true story on how the Boston Globe uncovered a cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese.
Cheer on your favourite nominee during the 88th annual academy awards ceremony on Sunday, February 28th.